There is a very simple answer to the question ‘How do I get a high IELTS score? You have to have good English. Having good English is the key to getting a good score. This means that if your level of general English is not high, the first thing to do is to join a good general English course. Ideally, if you have enough time, getting to B2 level before you start an IELTS course is the best way to get a high score.
If your Ievel of English is already at B2 level or above, joining a good IELTS course can be very beneficial. Having good general English is like having a good foundation to build a house on. The IELTS course can be seen as like the construction of the house. There are lots of aspects that you will cover in a good IELTS course. Here are the most important ones to look for.
· Practising the fours skills reflecting the four modules of the exam: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
· Working to develop understanding of important topics such as Education, Technology, Science, the Environment and Globalization.
· Developing general, topic-relatedand academic vocabulary is also crucial to getting a high score.
· Also, developing the range of grammatical structures which are expected by skilled users of English.
· Understanding the requirements of the exam and doing exam practice
A really good IELTS course will not put too much emphasis on exam practice. Exam practice is important but before getting to that stage, you need to develop topic-related and academic language. You need to practise reading IELTS style passages and IELTS style listening tasks. You need to develop important skills that will help you to understand the general and detailed meaning of what you read and here. You need to develop the skills that will help you interpret data for Task 1 of the writing test. You need to develop the skills of writing an argument with a clear position for Task 2. For the speaking module, you need to have the vocabulary and the ideas to discuss everyday life and topical issues. And you need to practise a lot.
If your level of English is below B1, and you need to get a good IELTS score, the first step is to enrol yourself on a good general English course and improve your general English. It can be useful at this stage to begin to prepare for IELTS. However, your main focus should be on building the foundation of the house so that when you join an IELTS course you are ready to benefit from it.